Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Where did the time go?

I am so far behind I don't even know where to begin. Here are the highlights:
  1. I'm teaching a lecture at UNCW next year as well as a lab. This will put me on the path to eventually becoming a college professor way down the road. 
  2. I got instate tuition for this year :-)
  3. I adopted an adorable kitten (not the one I originally planned on) named Seraphina, Phi for short. 
  4. I went to Tennessee for the National Marine Educators Association Conference and got to see lots of wonderful people including Steve Flack and Tammy Browning. My presentation went very well.
  5. We went to Ober Gatlinburg and saw bears, otters, and rode the alpine slide.
  6. I went to Dollywood Splash Country for the first time. It was actually a lot of fun with decent lines.
  7. I've been asked to work with a local high school teacher to put together a group of students to take to a Student Summit on Climate Change in Washington DC.
  8. Becky came down to visit and we had a wonderful time. We went on a very interesting bird walk with Audubon North Carolina.
  9. The Glow Worms (my volleyball team) is actually doing very well for a change. We're playing our end of season tourny tomorrow and then changing our name to the Isotopes.
  10. And lots of other things. 
Up coming:
UNCW Alumni after work, going away party for almost half of our education department, Carolina Beach Beerfest with proceeds going to the Pleasure Island Sea Turtle Project, and off to Florida for 4 days to see Colleen before school starts.

And at work today I got to watch them carry a 7 foot alligator through the aquarium. It took one aquarist per foot. Then we had someone bring in a baby sea turtle off the beach. That is very very illegal. They were worried it was going to get eaten. I wanted to start singing the circle of life.... cold, but true. Both it's fins are broken so we don't know how long it will survive..... But on a lighter note, some pictures.
Miss Phi:
Glossy Ibis on our bird walk
Looks good doesn't it?
Great Smoky Mountains
The bear looked like it tried to escape and fell to his death
The cute otters
I met Eugenie Clark, shark lady. This is me with her best friend Diane Nelson, the water bear lady
You'd think I had never been to Ripleys before with all the pictures I took
The new penguins:
Huma huma nuka nuka apua'a or the picasso trigger fish


Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment